[lug] RH, xinetd, rc.d scripts

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 18 22:57:49 MDT 2001

I know it isn't considered wise to run an irc server, but I need to do
this on a machine in a private/firewalled network, to make it easy for
chatting within that private network (for as many people as need to
connect from within). I'm having problems figuring out the changes that
occur due to being xinetd instead of the old inetd, plus I'm trying to
find out if the alternate to xinetd starting, via /etc/rc.d/init.d/
scripts, whenever more appropriate. Regardless of which is more
appropriate, I want to find a reference that will allow me to create
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ scripts for future daemons. Any URL's on authoring
these rc.d scripts under RH would be appreciated.

What I tried for /etc/xinetd.d/ircd was (note that the correct port is
listed in /etc/services as ircd):
service ircd
{
  disable		= no
  socket_type		= stream
  wait			= yes
  user			= root
  group			= tty
  server		= /usr/local/sbin/ircd
  server_args		= -i
  log_on_failure	= HOST USERID ATTEMPT RECORD
}

(and of course several variations)

Basically, unless I start ircd by hand, and not through xinetd, I can't
get it to work right (either ircd process never starts, or else it ends
up saying:
  "xinetd[7327]: warning: can't get client address: Transport endpoint
is not connected"

which is followed by:
  "xinetd[7321]: ircd service was deactivated because of looping"

Has anyone here set up ircd to run through xinetd? And what URL's are
available on writing /etc/rc.d/init.d/ scripts? (my efforts via copy and
edit of the portmap script failed).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com